[caption id="attachment_22888" align="alignnone" width="1000"] Elisabeth Gramaglia Gondeau, Honorary Consul of Mongolia in Monaco, with Jérôme Magail, Director of the joint archaeological mission Monaco-Mongolia, anthropologist and administrator at the Museum of Prehistoric Anthropology of Monaco, and Jamyian-Ombo Gantulga, joint mission Monaco-Mongolia, at the research and exhibition centre of Tsatsyn Ereg. Photo: DC[/caption]
The 12th Monaco-Mongolia Archaeological Campaign, conducted jointly by the Museum of Prehistoric Anthropology of Monaco and the Mongolian Academy of Sciences in the Mongolian steppes, made significant discoveries, including bronze arrowheads, ceramics and bones during its latest expedition.
The most remarkable piece, dating back more than 2000 years, is a bronze cauldron. During the excavation of a tomb at the site of Tsatsyn Ereg, archaeologists discovered the cauldron containing a wooden spoon.
According to the scientists, this object, dating from the second century BC, was buried near a human body, in a pit three-metres deep with a series of other artefacts. This would probably have been the burial site of a nomadic rider, many of whom crossed the Great Wall of China to sow terror among the Chinese peasantry.
The search of the contents of the cauldron will be carried out in a laboratory in order to clear the instrument and to try to discover the traces of any possible substance.
Funded by the Monaco Government since 2006, the Monaco-Mongolia joint missions, under the patronage of HSH Prince Albert and under the aegis of UNESCO, are carried out each summer by the teams of Jamyian-Ombo Gantulga, head of the Institute of Archeology of the Academy of Sciences of Mongolia, and Jérôme Magail of the Museum of Prehistoric Anthropology of Monaco.
The two teams cooperate on three sites in the Arkhangai province: Khunnu of Gol Mod, the Buddhist monastery of Zayan Khüree and the Bronze Age necropolis of Tsatsyn Ereg, on which a research and exhibition centre was built two years ago with the support of the Prince’s Government.
Elisabeth Gramaglia Gondeau, Honorary Consul of Mongolia in Monaco, has visited the site of Tsatsyn Ereg for the third time, which has just been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List thanks to the work of the archaeologists.
[caption id="attachment_17884" align="alignnone" width="888"] Photo: US Air Force Staff Sgt. Maria Bowman[/caption]
A Monegasque couple have been deemed responsible for faulty electrical wiring that seriously injured a fireman trying to put out a blaze in the cellar of their apartment at Les Eucalyptus on avenue des Guelfes in Fontvieille.
Monaco’s Criminal Court was told that the incident happened on April 29, 2016. As the 45-year-old fireman advanced into the unlit cellar feeling the wall on his left for balance, he touched a loose wire that gave him a strong electric shock.
His injuries were serious enough for him to have to give up his 23-year career as a firefighter in Monaco. His life is now “punctuated by unimaginable pain, nocturnal spasms”, he told the court.
Video surveillance seen by the police during an investigation into the cause of the midday blaze showed a man lighting a cigarette and entering the cellar, coming out of it five minutes later without it.
The two defendants had provided contradictory statements and much of their evidence had been inconsistent, the court heard.
The court imposed a suspended sentence of six months on the two defendants, and called for the appointment of a specialist doctor for the injured fireman with a budget of €15,000. The court also ruled that the guilty parties pay €50,000 to the state.