Chloe and Izzy are two Boston Terriers often seen around town with their owners Anne and Patrick Dewez. Monaco Paws met up with Anne to find out what makes this doggy duo so dynamic.
- Why did you choose Boston Terriers?
We had lost a much-loved Boxer and were ready for a new dog, but we had moved from a house to an apartment and needed to find a smaller dog. As a good Harvard Business School graduate, I decided to conduct a comprehensive survey of trainers, vets and breeders. I described our family and lifestyle and everyone said the same thing; get a Boston Terrier.
- What are the dominant characteristics of Boston Terriers?
They are smart, learn quickly and are just clowns. They look funny and are very engaging. My husband Patrick said he wanted a dog that made him laugh and that’s what we get every day.
- They have an amazing amount of energy. Have you trained them to do some tricks?
We took them to L’ Ecole de Chien so they are good with all the basics. Izzy can jump 3 feet, especially if I tempt her with a plastic water bottle.
- How much exercise do they get each day?
Almost every morning we walk to Plage Marquet which is about 4 kilometers. Its good exercise for them and good for me too.
- Sometimes little dogs are not good with children. Do Chloe and Izzy like kids?
They love kids. Izzy will fetch endlessly if they throw the ball for her.
- And are they good with other dogs?
They are always curious but not aggressive. They are good with virtually all the dogs, big and small, that we meet on our walks. Their special friends are 2 pugs and a golden retriever.
- Do you think of them as your children now that your boys are grown up?
They are our girls. I think Patrick is a little more indulgent with them than I am.
- What do you think makes a good dog owner?
You really have to be 100% committed to giving them the training and care they need and lots of exercise. And when they get old and are suffering it is important not to keep them alive just because of your own attachment.
- Do you think there are any special advantages to having a dog in Monaco?
Yes! Not least, the ready availability of bags for cleaning up. Also, there are plenty of places to walk and play with them and Monaco residents and businesses (restaurants, shops) are particularly dog-friendly.
- Are two better than one?
Of course! We get twice the laughs and twice the love.