Turkish website criticises ban on Fenerbahçe supporters from Monaco match

Photo: Kızıl Saman
Photo: Kızıl Saman

A news website for the Turkish community in France has accused the Monaco Government of acting in a racist way by banning supporters of the Fenerbahçe football team from attending a Champions League match in Monaco on August 3.

The site, turquie-news.com, said the reasons given for the spectator ban were “spurious”. While the Journal de Monaco had said that there had been several incidents in recent years involving Fenerbahçe supporters, the Turkish website took particular offence and said that the move was “racist”. It called on the French President to intervene on the grounds that since 1860 Monaco has been “under its protection”.

The Monaco authorities have invoked bans against spectators from visiting teams on frequent occasions, including several teams in France’s Ligue 1, on the grounds that there could be a risk of an outbreak of violence.

SHARE