Prince Albert underlines links with Nice

NEWS: Two days after attending a memorial service in Nice for the 84 victims of last Thursday’s terror attack, Prince Albert has told People magazine that the tragedy was “unimaginable.”

After attending a mass in Monaco on Saturday, Prince Albert joined President Hollande and other dignitaries during a minute of silence on the Promenade des Anglais, the scene of the attack,

Noting that the attack on a crowd of 30,000 watching Bastille Day fireworks is “still an incomprehensible act”, he says he was attending a similar outdoor public event that night, 20 minutes away on the other side of Nice. “Everyone’s reaction was shock and horror at this unpredictable tragedy.

“Those affected are our neighbours,” he added. “It isn’t just people from Nice but people in Monaco as well, and also people who work in Monaco. Their sons, their daughters. It’s friends of people who work at the palace. It was felt in France, around the world, and here in particular. Everyone here knows someone.”

Donations from this year’s Red Cross Gala, on July 23 at the Sporting d’Éte, will directly help the victims of the Nice attack. The organisation has already been providing support since last week’s tragedy.

SHARE