The Nice police officer who alleged that she was put under pressure to downplay security lapses during the Bastille Day attack in Nice last year is due to appear in court in Paris on Wednesday.
Sandra Bertin was in charge of the Nice Municipal Police control centre on the fateful night of July 14 that took the lives of 86 people, and on the following day she claimed she received a telephone call from a high-level police officer who said he was a member of the Minister of the Interior’s cabinet, during which she was “harassed,” and told to modify a report on the tragic events.
Rather than comply and keep quiet about the telephone call, she made it public. The then Minister of the Interior, Bernard Cazeneuve, publicly denounced Ms Bertin and lodged a criminal complaint for “defamation” against the long-serving officer.
After a period of silence, the complaint was lodged with the legal authorities, which will now consider the case and decide between the word of a police officer and the man who five months after the Nice atrocity became France’s prime minister.
READ ALSO: Prince Albert underlines links with Nice
READ ALSO: Charity run for Nice victim, 13, and why we can’t forget
READ ALSO: Official figures confirm tourism hit