Monaco game postponed after three explosions, Prince Albert and Minister of State safe in hotel

Explosions near to the team bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund players to the Champions League quarter-final at Signal Iduna Park on Tuesday evening injured one player, police have said.

Dortmund centre-back Marc Bartra was injured after three explosions and taken to hospital. Following the incident, the match has been postponed by one day, until Wednesday, April 12, with kick-off at 6:45 pm CET.

Hans-Joachim Watzke, the Borussia Dortmund CEO, said: “The whole team is in shock. You will not get those pictures out of your head. I hope that the team is able to compete on the field.”

German police said there was no danger inside the stadium, where fans had already gathered for the game.

Bartra, 26, joined the German club from Barcelona last summer. He graduated from the famous La Masia academy. First reports state his injuries have been caused by shattered glass.

The Monegasque delegation, including Prince Albert and Minister of State, are safe at a hotel, a tweet by the Prince’s Government confirmed.

 

READ ALSO

Monaco draw Dortmund in April quarterfinal matches

SHARE