As Monaco Life reported earlier this month, a world first sporting event will take place in Monaco on June 4, thanks to an initiative by Princess Charlene. The Riviera Water Bike Challenge is the first relay race of its kind on water, covering 21 kilometers between Nice and Monaco using Schiller S1 water bikes.
The charity challenge is in support of the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation, and all funds raised, between a gala dinner tonight at the Monaco Yacht Club and by the first edition of the Riviera Water Bike Challenge in June, will help finance the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation’s project in Burkina Faso.
LIVE AUCTION TODAY Part of the Riviera Water Bike Challenge fundraising activities include a Silent Auction today, with 17 Lots available, including tickets to the Wimbledon 2017 Men’s Final, a Michael Schumacher Gold Anniversary Helmet, Rafael Nadal’s tennis racket, training with Paula Radcliffe, and 2 passes to access the Monaco Grand Prix Fairmont Hairpin. View all Lots here. Bids will only be accepted until 5 pm Friday, March 24.
At this evening’s gala fundraiser, under the High Patronage of Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene, there will be two auctions. First, guests will have the opportunity to bid for a place on a specific team to compete in the Riviera Water Bike Challenge. In total there will be 10 teams, each made up of 2 celebrity sports personalities and 2 amateurs.
In addition to auctioning off spots in the race to the highest bidder, there will be a Riviera Water Bike Challenge Live Auction comprising 8 Lots:
- Lot 1: Kids Party At Mc Buns
- Lot 2: Monaco Grand Prix 2017 Yacht Hospitality Package including 2 tickets to exclusive cocktail party at the Palace on the Saturday evening
- Lot 3: Artwork “Blue Monochrome”
- Lot 4: Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes Benz Racing Suit
- Lot 5: Typhoon electric bicycle designed and painted for HSH Prince Albert II to use in the 2015 St Tropez-Monaco COCC ride, signed by Their Serene Highnesses Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene
- Lot 6: Nelson Mandela’s handprints
- Lot 7: HSH Prince Albert II’s Olympic shoes
- Lot 8: Last photograph of Charlene Wittstock before she got married, signed by Julian Lennon
As the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation points out, the Riviera Water Bike Challenge “fits the philosophy and values” of the charitable association: “team spirit, self-respect and respect of others, discipline and appreciation of hard work.
“The choice of a relay race is of utmost importance as it is the embodiment of mutual aid and teamwork.”
Article first published March 24, 2017.