Fatal incident in Marseille ‘not terrorist act’

Photo: Twitter EUterrornews
Photo: Twitter EUterrornews

Police in Marseille have said that an incident in which a man drove into two bus shelters on Monday morning, killing a 42-year-old woman and seriously injuring a man, was not terrorist-related.

The driver was arrested shortly after the two events, at about 9:30 am. The two bus shelters were in different districts of the city. The 35-year-old man was quickly arrested by the Anti-Crime Brigade (BAC) in the Old Port area this morning. He had arrived from Grenoble to receive psychiatric care in a specialised establishment, La Provence said. The suspect was already known to the police.

“There is no factor leading us to describe this as a terrorist act,” said Xavier Tarabeux, Prosecutor of the Republic of Marseille. At the early stage of the investigation it is not known if the perpetrator had been inspired by the fatal attacks in Barcelona last week, in which a total of 15 victims died.


RELATED ARTICLES

Prince speaks of ‘cruel ordeal’

One year later: Day-long Bastille Day commemoration in Nice Friday

 

SHARE