NEWS: As the whole of France still shudders in horror in the wake of last Thursday’s terror attack in Nice, there is a growing sense of outrage among the general populace at the government’s failure to prevent the attack.
President François Hollande was booed when he went to Nice on Friday, while attempts by local political leaders to blame central government have been met with unprecedented anger and finger-pointing at local authorities for failing to secure the Promenade des Anglais for the annual celebration of France’s national holiday.
A survey published by the influential daily Le Figaro showed that 67 percent of respondents have no confidence in the President and his government to counter terrorist threats, while 81 percent said they were prepared to accept further restrictions on individual freedoms.
The fall in confidence is 16 percentage points since a previous survey carried out in January this year.
Jerome Fourquet, director of the IFOP polling agency, said that the attack in Nice has had a profound effect on morale in France and reinforced pre-existing views that France should introduce measures that had previously been considered.
In related news, 18 people remain in critical condition in hospitals in Nice. The estranged wife of Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel has been released from custody after 48 hours, while six more people have been arrested over the last few days. Investigators have also discovered that Bouhel had driven in the rented truck along the Promenade des Anglais on the two days prior to the attack.